Compass Expert Consultants
Dr. Clive Robins, Ph.D., Compass’ DBT Expert Consultant
Compass Behavior Health is proud to have Dr. Clive Robins as its premier Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) expert consultant. Dr. Robins now provides consultation to Compass on program development, staff training and treatment assessment. Dr. Robins evaluates all Compass treatment plans, and reviews treatment videos for coding and treatment adherence in Compass’ comprehensive DBT Training program.
Dr. Robins has been a proponent of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for more than 20 years: In 1993, he completed the first intensive training in dialectical behavior therapy, which was conducted by Dr. Marsha Linehan, the psychologist who created DBT, which combines behavioral science with concepts such as acceptance and mindfulness.
During that same year, Dr. Robins established the DBT program at Duke University Medical Center, which he directed until 2015. In the last two decades, Dr. Robins has provided DBT to many patients, trained and supervised more than 70 psychology interns and postdoctoral fellows, taught graduate-level courses in Psychological Intervention, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, and the Psychology of Mindfulness, given more than 25 Grand Rounds and other invited presentations at Universities and Medical Centers, most concerning DBT, and conducted more than 90 DBT trainings and workshops for mental health professionals. He was also a co-investigator, along with his colleague Cedar Koons, on the first randomized controlled trial of DBT outside Dr. Linehan’s laboratory, and published in 2001.
Dr. Robins and Compass Behavioral Health founder and director Cherie Mills, LMFT became acquainted when Dr. Robins was a consultant to one of the first “virtual” DBT team training conducted by Behavioral Tech, LLC, Dr. Linehan's training company. Mills was a participant in the sessions and worked closely with Dr. Robins over the course of the 18-month program.
Dr. Robins’ numerous degrees, certifications, awards and recognitions include:
- Master’s degree in Experimental Psychology from the University of Sussex Graduate school at Stanford University
- Doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- Faculty member, New York University
- Faculty member, Duke University
- Professor Emeritus, Duke University, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Professor Emeritus, Duke University, Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Certified in Cognitive and Behavioral Psychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology
- Licensed Psychologist, North Carolina, License No. 1421
- Founding Fellow in the Academy of Cognitive Therapy
- Served as Associate Editor and on the editorial boards of several scientific and professional journals
- More than 80 published articles and book chapters on depression, borderline personality disorder, and cognitive-behavioral and dialectical behavior therapies
- Recipient of research grant funding from the National Institute of Mental Health
- Behavioral Tech DBT Expert Trainer
Monicah Muhomba, PhD., Compass’ DBT Training & Research Consultant
Dr. Monicah Muhomba works with Compass Behavioral Health as the clinic’s research consultant. Intensively trained in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). In her role as Compass’ DBT Training & Research Consultant, Dr. Muhomba confers with Compass director Cherie Mills, LMFT, on children’s’ treatment plans. She also reviews treatment videos for adherence to DBT and is the program’s expert consultant on tracking treatment outcomes. In addition, Dr. Muhomba is a Team Leader for her DBT Consultation Team, which counts Cherie among its team members.
Dr. Muhomba is Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, in the Department of Psychiatry at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Currently, Dr. Muhomba is conducting research on the treatment outcomes of Vanderbilt students receiving DBT treatment versus treatment as usual (TAU) in her role as Director of Clinical Training at Vanderbilt University.
Dr. Muhomba’s background, acknowledgements, and areas of expertise and research include:
- Licensed psychologist TN (#2861)
- Training director, Vanderbilt University Psychological and Counseling Center.
- Serves on the consortium training committee for the Vanderbilt-Veterans Affairs Internship in professional psychology
- Expert in Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Expert in evidence based treatment approaches in college mental health
- Expert in multicultural issues in mental health, education, training and supervision
- Due to the depth and breadth of her data driven DBT program at Vanderbilt, Dr. Muhomba received the 2015 Award for “Outstanding Contribution to Counseling Center Work” presented by the American Psychological Association, Division 17, Section on College & University Counseling Centers.