DBT-Linehan Board of Certification, Certified Program™
Did You Know?
Compass Behavioral Health is the only DBT - LBC Certified Program in all of Southern California.
This was a 12 month rigorous certification that requires
- The team leader to be individually certified
- A review of all protocols for research adherence
- A site visit adherence evaluation that included
- Patient interviews for DBT skills knowledge
- Observation and adherence coding of a DBT skills training group
- Observation and adherence coding of DBT Consultation Team
- Chart reviews for treatment adherence and measurable outcomes being tracked.
Learn more at: https://dbt-lbc.org/index.php?page=101167
DBT Adherence, Whats the Big Deal?
Research on the efficacy of DBT has been achieved with clinicians meeting a required standard of proficiency and competence in DBT practice (referred to as DBT adherence)-important for client, clinician, organizational and financial outcomes. Yet, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (2011) reported to the US Congress of widespread concerns of clinicians purporting to be offering DBT that lacked adherence, achieving poorer outcomes than that attained in the research. As of 2012, DBT standards are in development for real-world contexts (outside research units) with formal DBT therapist certification and DBT program accreditation pathways being put in place to independently assess therapist and program proficiencies and adherence to the DBT model.
Adherence, risk, and legal liability
Extensive gold standard research of DBTs effectiveness in working with complex, highly suicidal people is based on adherent DBT; so, if clinicians and organizations want to provide the treatment with reference to the evidence base, DBT adherence is required. Adapting (rather than adopting) DBT can heighten risk and legal liability (Koerner et al, 2007). Practicing adherent DBT, is likely to be more credible than trying to justify an untested modification of DBT (Koerner et al, 2007).
Courtesy of Roy Krawitz MBBCH, FRANZCP, MNZAP Consultant Psychiatrist, Waikato District Health Board and Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, Auckland University
Why Certification Matters
- DBT is a treatment that saves lives. DBT-LBC grants Certification to Clinicians that have gone through a rigorous assessment process of their qualifications, knowledge and capability to deliver DBT.
- As developed by Marsha Linehan, Ph.D., DBT is recognized by HHS/SAMHSA, a Federal agency, to be an evidenced-based practice.
- DBT-LBC Certification is the only DBT Certification credential recognized by Dr. Linehan.
- DBT-LBC provides easy on-line access to listings of DBT-LBC Board Certified Clinicians and Programs to clients in great need.
- Board Certification in DBT, like in all healthcare professions, shows a clinician's willingness to be reviewed by experts and held to high professional standards.
- Consumers, insurance companies and state regulatory agencies have been asking Dr. Linehan for a means of identifying DBT therapists. Certification by DBT-LBC was created to answer those requests.