Compass Behavioral Health is proud to have Dr. Clive Robins as its premier Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) expert and Director of the Compass Training Institute. Dr. Robins provides consultation to Compass on program development, staff training and treatment assessment. Dr. Robins evaluates Compass treatment plans, and reviews treatment videos for coding and treatment adherence in Compass’ comprehensive DBT Training program. In Dr. Robins role as Director of the Compass Training Institute he oversees UCI's Child & Adolescent Psychiatry second year DBT Fellowship Rotation at Compass Behavioral Health. This comprehensive DBT Rotation involves core didactic lectures on DBT principles, strategies, and protocols along with direct clinical training and supervision of the fellows in rendering DBT Skills training to an adolescent population.
Dr. Robins has been a proponent of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for more than 20 years: In 1993, he completed the first intensive training in dialectical behavior therapy, which was conducted by Dr. Marsha Linehan, the psychologist who created DBT, which combines behavioral science with concepts such as acceptance and mindfulness.
During that same year, Dr. Robins established the DBT program at Duke University Medical Center, which he directed until 2015. In the last two decades, Dr. Robins has provided DBT to many patients, trained and supervised more than 70 psychology interns and postdoctoral fellows, taught graduate-level courses in Psychological Intervention, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, and the Psychology of Mindfulness, given more than 25 Grand Rounds and other invited presentations at Universities and Medical Centers, most concerning DBT, and conducted more than 90 DBT trainings and workshops for mental health professionals. He was also a co-investigator, along with his colleague Cedar Koons, on the first randomized controlled trial of DBT outside Dr. Linehan’s laboratory, and published in 2001.
Dr. Robins’ numerous degrees, certifications, awards and recognitions include:
- Master’s degree in Experimental Psychology from the University of Sussex Graduate school at Stanford University
- Doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- Faculty member, New York University
- Faculty member, Duke University
- Professor Emeritus, Duke University, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Professor Emeritus, Duke University, Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Certified in Cognitive and Behavioral Psychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology
- Licensed Psychologist, North Carolina, License No. 1421
- Founding Fellow in the Academy of Cognitive Therapy
- Served as Associate Editor and on the editorial boards of several scientific and professional journals
- More than 80 published articles and book chapters on depression, borderline personality disorder, and cognitive-behavioral and dialectical behavior therapies
- Recipient of research grant funding from the National Institute of Mental Health
- Behavioral Tech DBT Expert Trainer
- DBT-Linehan Board of Certification, Certified Clinician™